Monday, May 24, 2010

Black Belt Camp

For some very strange reason, I had decided a while back that it would be a good idea to go to the Black Belt Camp. Nothing wrong with the "Black Belt" part; it's the "camp" that gets me. I hate camping. I'm ridiculously allergic to nature. Bugs love me. But still, I want to test eventually so I figured I should make a showing at this event. Also, I do genuinely enjoy karate.

So I saved some money. And I went this past weekend. It was fun, and I met some interesting people, but I still do not feel the slightest bit more in tune with nature. When I showed up, I set up my bed, was chilling out, meeting the other people in my cabin, when someone said, "Don't freak out, but there is a mouse behind you." Great. Freakin' super. Sure enough there was a cute little mouse prancing along a ledge that was just a few inches above my bed. Of course I moved my stuff, but the only place I could go was up. Bunk beds are fun like that.

Then I went and ate dinner. I don't know whose idea it was to give us all nasty pizza before working out, and then have let's-do-a-hundred-jumping-jacks Mark do the warm-up. It was slightly unpleasant. He's a jerk. We did some forms, some kicking drills, some self-defense. It was good. Then it was time for bed.

Sleep did not come to me. Every time it tried I would hear the damn mouse go sprinting around inside the walls, especially the wall by my head. I would sit up, grab my flashlight, and look around to make sure it was actually INSIDE the wall and not on my bed. Nothing is more fun than trying to sleep while imagining being woken up to a mouse crawling around on your face.

Saturday was fun too. It was a little gross and exhausting, what with waking up at 5:45am and exercising all day in the heat wearing the same uniform I had exercised in the night before. Other than that I was enjoying the camp. It was nice to catch up with people I hadn't seen for a while, and to meet potential friends. And I got to do archery! I'm good at it! A natural! After all that there was a little bonfire at night, followed by a drinking party.

Then the mouse again. Stupid little prat.

Sunday was relaxing, but by that point I was so very done with wearing my uniform. It had a permanent dampness to it that was highly unpleasant. Luckily Sunday was mostly talking and an awesome group sword form in a field, and then we were done by noon.

So, I had a good weekend. Learned some new skills, brushed up on some old skills, shot things with arrows, and socialized. I also found that it is possible for me to fall asleep with the chance of waking up to a mouse in bed as long as I have spent the entire day exercising like a fiend.

Still, nature and I are not the best of friends.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP